The Democratic Activist
This is too much. This is beyond too much. This could well be criminal. And this time it's FOX "News" with it's license (or worse) on the line.
I'm not an attorney, but isn't openly and publicly advocating the assassination of a presidential candidate a felony?
On Sunday, 5/26/08, journalist Liz Trotta was interviewed on FOX "News" by Eric Shawn about the recent invocation of the RFK assassination on the campaign trail.
Here's what Trotta said:
"And now we have what some are reading as a suggestion that somebody knock off Osama, uh, Obama. Well, both, if we could."
(Then, she laughs.)
See it for yourself:
To view video of Trotta's remarks in full context, click here (the offending statement begins at approximately 1:23).
For further info on this incredible and despicable FOX "News" crime, click here.
Isn't "broadcasting threatening or intimidating statements about an individual or group" over the public airwaves a violation of FCC rules and grounds for the immediate revocation of the offending station's license?
Are we going to stand for an endless parade of old white people intimating or brazenly suggesting with the help of the mainstream media that an uppity black Democrat who may well be our next president could or should be killed??
First, it was Hillary (who's referred to RFK's assassination multiple times during her campaign against Obama), then Huckabee (video here), and now Fox.
Is a simple apology enough to excuse this kind of dangerous and grossly irresponsible behavior?
Is America already becoming a third-world banana republic wherein raising the spectre of mafia-style, targeted assassination is accepted and fashionable as a domestic political strategy and tactic?
Are we now seeing the advocacy of murdering one's political opponents as the logical extension of the Bush/Cheney/Rove/Clinton/Fox "win at any cost" ethos?
Has FOX's reactionary propaganda network now crossed the line into propagating political violence and hate crime – with the full blessing of the FCC?
How much lower are we Americans willing to let our nation sink?
Here's what you can do:
1. Compose a short message referencing this outrage and demand that the FCC act immediately to revoke the license granted to FOX to broadcast in the U.S.
Then, send this message to the FCC "general information, comments, and inquiries" address and to all five FCC commissioners:
General information, comments & inquiries: email@example.com
Chairman Kevin J. Martin: KJMWEB@fcc.gov
Commissioner Michael J. Copps: Michael.Copps@fcc.gov
Commissioner Jonathan S. Adelstein: Jonathan.Adelstein@fcc.gov
Commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate: firstname.lastname@example.org
Commissioner Robert McDowell: Robert.McDowell@fcc.gov
2. Turn the message you composed into personal letters addressed to each FCC commissioner c/o the following address:
Federal Communications Commission
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554
4. File an online complaint with the FCC at the following address:
- For "Complaint Type," chose "Broadcast (TV and Radio), Cable, and Satellite Issues," and then click "Next" at the bottom of the page.
- For "Complaint Category," choose "Unauthorized, unfair, biased, illegal broadcasts" (you'll be charging FOX with violating FCC rules by "Broadcasting threatening or intimidating statements about an individual or group"), and click "Next."
- Then, click "Continue to Online Form" at the bottom of the page, fill out the complaint form (for date, type 5/25/08; use the message you composed to fill in the details of your complaint in section 5.c.), and click "SUBMIT" to send your complaint to the FCC.
5. Call your congressperson and senators – express your outrage and state your demands over the phone to the staff person who takes your call.
Here's the toll-free Capitol Switchboard number (just ask to speak to the office of the congressperson or senator you wish to contact):
If you wish, you can also send your message as a letter or email to your congressperson and senators. Make sure to insist that they work immediately to pressure the FCC to act quickly and forcefully to punish this despicable behavior of FOX "News" in gross violation of federal law and FCC rules. You can send email messages and get postal addresses for your congressional representatives and senators here (just enter you zip code in the field provided).
6. Sign a petition to help sack Liz Trotta (click here).
7. Contact FOX – and give 'em hell!
1211 Ave. of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
8. Spread the word!
Send a link to this post to everyone you know who cares about restoring sanity and safety to political campaigning in America, alerting them to your specific concerns and urging them to take action.
Pass it on.
The Democratic Activist